Friday, March 03, 2006

I Want to be a Skater

I want to follow my dream of skating
But something inside me says no
Maybe it's that I'm scared to fall
Or afraid to be the worst
I want to just get a start
And see what I can do
But if I completely fail
My hopes will shatter like glass

Sometimes I think
I'm better where I am
Hoping that I can follow my dreams
And still knowing that I can't
I know if I try
I might not stand a chance
But if I sit here and dream
I can always be in the spotlight beam

When I'm at the rink
Watching others skate
I feel like skating in the middle
What could happen if I fall?
But then
I come back to reality
And stare at the words on this page
People think I'm fine with writing
Inside I'd rather skate

As time passes it is too late
Skaters start training early
And I'm almost a teenager

I look good to the public
Everything seems fine
I guess I'll just be thankful
For what's on the outside

But in my mind I'll never give up hope
To achieve my skating dream
I'll be that skater in my soul
But a writer on the surface

I'm not sure if this is what I really want
But I know
That no matter what dream I follow
I'll live

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure about this one...the ending is a bit weak and the rest doesn't really flow like poetry. Maybe you should work on it a bit more!

Emily said...

Hey! I agree that it doesn't flow like poetry, but that is strictly how I want it to end. I will work on the flow, though! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

it is really good! u had a great theme there, and i think it flowed fine. you"re a great writer!

Anonymous said...

that is a WONDERFUL poem!!!!