Friday, December 23, 2005

Story: Spit Stories

Spit Stories
By: Emily


1
Spit stories, we called them. Stories that my clarinet teacher told in between songs. Stories about embarrassing moments like when she was in a performance and spit drizzled on her knees. Gross.
She had taught me for eight years--that's since I was two. Clarinet has been my life; how do my parents expect me to give it up? Stupid parents. My clarinet teacher had to keep teaching me, or I would be nothing. I was so sure that she would teach me. After all we had there still had to be something. And maybe, maybe if my stupid parents would let me, I could do chores around the house to raise money. I wouldn't be able to pay as much money to her as I used to, but she would still accept it. After all, we were friends, right?
2
"Mom, I'm going to uh…stay after school today to do some stuff. Okay? Bye!" I would have to take the bus after school, but it was my only hope to still be able to play the clarinet.
"Hi, Ms. Lisette? I know I quit clarinet, but I need some help."
"Oh, it's good to see you! What do you need help about?"
"Um…long story."
"Blurt it out."
"My parents won't let me play clarinet because it's too much money and I still really want to play because I don't think I'm really that good at anything else and it's my only hope of succeeding and people seem to like me when I play and anyway it's just plain fun…(breath)…and so will you please teach me clarinet? I will try to raise money and stuff but I don't know if I can because-"
"Oh my goodness! I am so glad--when your mom told me that you were too busy I actually thought that you weren't willing to play anymore, but I am so glad you are! Uh…lessons…yes. But what will you tell your parents?"
The world had just come off of me. I was free to go!! Just like that! See how amazing she is?
"Um…there's a little thing called Sports Club-"
"Perfect excuse. Eventually you will have to tell your parents, you know, but I guess we won't worry about that for now. I'm just so glad to be helping you!"
"No, thank you! I guess I'll be going. My parents are expecting me."
3
Life was back to normal. When my parents said that they were in debt and they wanted me to do another activity like sports, I thought I would never say that again. But now I could! My parents still didn't know about the secret lessons, but that was okay. Okay, that is, until January 9, 2004.
"Honey, I know you might find this tough, and everything. I mean, you had to quit clarinet just a few months ago, so it might be a little tough. But we are going to move to Alabama in three weeks. I know this is soon, but-"
"Why do you make all your decisions without consulting me?" I stomped up the stairs and cried myself to sleep.
4
"Greetings, Meg! Why are you early? You are supposed to come on Tuesdays."
"Right. But we are moving this Tuesday so I couldn't come anyway. What am I going to do? I'll never be able to play the clarinet again in my life!"
"Is there a friend's house that you could practice at?"
"People don't like me here, I don't think they'll like me in Alabama. You are the only friend I have. Besides, everyone at my new school will probably hate me because I'm so bad at sports. I hate my parents!" Right then I was furious out of my mine, but two minutes later I walked out with a plan.
5
The trucks came to pick up all of our stuff. What a sad sight! Not that I had anything I liked there besides clarinet, but now it actually hit me that I was moving and I might not be able to play clarinet again. One bad move and the plan was out. I felt like crying, but Ms. Lisette said to follow the plan closely. So I waited there pretending to be happy. Which is not so hard come to think about it.
Ring, ring, ring! Here it comes! I heard my mom say, "Yes, today we are moving." Pause. "She has? Why didn't she tell me? You…! Why did you do that? She needed to try some sports!" She was yelling now. "Why did you give her free lessons?" Pause. "Yes, but she would be happier if she had friends." Pause. "Well, I don't want her to change…I mean, it's just…" Pause. "Okay, so I did want her to change. But now, now I see what you're saying! I guess I will be easier on her."
Click.
6
The apartment was pretty nice in Alabama. But the kids orchestra was the best thing. I actually had a best friend and five other girls who were my friends! I never thought that that many people would care to be my friend. But then again, it was in the orchestra.
Ten Years Later
Currently I am in college getting my degree in music. I don't think my parents are stupid anymore, but I still hate sports. I call Ms. Lisette every night--she fully deserves it. If it hadn't been for her, I would be somewhere else. Who knows? La La land?

Spit stories.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Emily! You Could Get A Book Published!

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily! It's a good story, but I thought you might want to know, for your future stories that Clarinet is a band instrument, not an orchestra instrument.

Emily said...

Actually it's an orchestral insturment too. That's why clarinet rocks--it's both band and orchestra!!

Anonymous said...

Spit stories is just as good, if not better, than "I want to be a skater", which i loved. You rock!

-Anonymous

Anonymous said...

Hi emily, i dont no if u remember me, but im Angela Grate from the tea party at the library! i cant wait to see you next year at my totally awesome school! I read about u and u r EXACTLY like me! totally weird!


---~*Angela*~

Emily said...

WHAT? Angela Grate from a tea party at the library...gosh, I am trying to remember. I don't think I can! Anyway how did you find my blog? And I am going to your awesome school? I don't even know what your school is! Do you have the wrong person or something...sorry to sound impolite but I am completely like shocked. Weird. Could you email me at musicalpoet@charter.net.

Anonymous said...

Hey, well i got it from Sarah Fotenberry answer one q, do u have a twin brother Brandon Fisher? U might be the wrong person

Anonymous said...

Hi emily this is deanna your very good at these storeys can you tell me how you can mack a site like your so if you would can you emile me at Antopezic@sbcgolbal.net