Thursday, October 26, 2006

Priorities

No one is understanding
No one cares
Judging and killing
Closing our minds
We've got the natural instinct to survive
We, ourselves are our number one priority

And I want to be able to snap out of it
I want to be able to see past the fog
To see the cars blowing up
And the little girls crying
I want to be able to see the people who don't have as much as me
But I can't see past the fog

I'm staring at the mirror
Smearing on the lip gloss
Fiddling with my hair
Half of me wants to forget about what will never happen
To just look at the outside
And keep staying where I am right now

And the other half of me wants to do something
To at least try to care
And to see past the eyes I have
Those ugly human eyes
To take off that eye shadow
And all that artificial junk
And finally get my priorities straight

As the tension builds in me
I realize that no matter how hard I try
I'll always stay human
And be trapped inside this awful skin
Probably
At least I think
And if I try to escape
I'll be so different
And is it worth the risk?

I keep staring at the mirror
I add the eyeliner
The fake eyelashes
That's my number one priority right now
Because I'm human

2 comments:

Princess Katherine said...

Emily,
Wow your a really talented writer!
I saw your poem on the newmoon blog today so i thought i would check out your blog.
Keep writing!

-a new moonie

lovesthekey said...

You really are a talented author! It has probably been said many a time, but you are truly amazing. I too found you link from New Moon, and sure were they right to add it.
- lovesthekey