Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Hateful, Dreadful Society

We sit and complain
Oh, how things are going wrong
And oh, how we can't do anything
We're just couch potatoes lounging around
Not taking advantage of all we have
To change it

And the happy peeps come round and say
Be thankful for what you have right now
Be cheerful and don't complain
Have a positive outlook
And I don't agree one bit
Because if we're thankful for what we have right now
One day we'll lose it all
We won't look outside at the things messed up
And be able to change it

Some people call it voter apathy
Or not taking opportunity
Staying right there cuz we can't take the risk
I call it just plain stupid
Do we realize what's happening to everyone's rights
When we say the pledge do we really think
Or is it becoming a habit just like brushing your teeth

There's only five fingers but there's so many hands
We're looking at the outside
The obvious
Concentrating on the problems dangling in front of us
And when are we finally going to see
That we're so darn messed up

And why can't we take advantage of what's right in front of us
We're down to the point where dying and living are the same
I want to say hello
Wake up
And I keep shaking society except we never open our eyes
Why not run in the rain and ruin our hair
Why not eat some chocolate and smudge it all over our faces
And break down laughing hysterically
We're so fixed on instant solutions and drugs
Keeping up a perfect impression
Why are our souls shrinking each time we read another magazine

And we're counting time
The time we've got left and the time we've survived
On a twelve month calendar
Why is everything so structured
Why do we try to trap time and own land
How come we draw the line and say MINE
I remember learning about abstract and concrete nouns in grammar
Concretes are things you can own
I think everything started out as being abstract
What has happened to our greedy selves
My worst fear used to be getting bubble gum in my hair

One day our souls will be completely gone
Tomorrow I'm getting drugged for depression
I meant to just comment on society
But the happy people disagreed
They don't want me making a bad impression
So they're taking me away
Into their closed mind
Where they think the drugs will make me better
But it's rather like they'll replace me

And look at me here
Standing all alone sobbing in the rain
The train keeps on chugging
I reach over for my Diet Cocola that I'm drinking
And the People Magazine I'm currently reading
When I get off the train and see my family
I'll act happy
I'll act like it's a beautiful day
To make a good impression
No one would ever guess that this is me
No one would ever guess the second most natural instinct of a human
Which, of course, is being hypocritical
Saying one thing and doing another

I said I hated society
I said I hated the human race
And now you are gawping at me
Stop making so many stupid assumptions
I said I hated the world
But I never said I wasn't part of it

The train stops chugging
I pick up my Burberry suitcase and get off
The sun is shining brightly and the trees swaying
I just used whitening bleech strips
My new smile will be great
I have to act happy in front of my family
Maybe it won't be so hard after all

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is HILARIOUS and truthful at the same time! i love it lovelovelovelove it!

ROCK THE BOAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!